05 Nov Summer Garden Tips
Now that Summer has landed in Melbourne, it’s time to start thinking about preparing your garden to ensure it is ready for the Aussie heat!
These tips are particularly important if you’re going away over the festive break, so you can sit back, relax and enjoy your holiday.
Hydration is one of the most important things to focus on for your garden and its plants during a hot, Australian Summer.Esjay Landscapes + Pools
Top tips to keep your garden looking it’s best in Summer
• Make sure you do a manual run through of your irrigation system to ensure everything is in good working order.
• Check all the irrigation zones are on and timed accordingly.
• For best results on your lawn, fertilise a minimum of 4 times a year, in September, December, March and again in April. Then the key is to mow every 5-10 days.
• Over summer, keep your lawns mowed a little higher than normal.
• Fertilise your lawns with a fertiliser high in nitrogen, which will assist in keeping it nice and green.
• Drench and dry your lawn less frequently, but for longer periods. This will encourage a healthy and strong root system.
• Timber decks and screens require a good clean and re oil every 12-24 months. Early December is the perfect time to do this, just before the summer sun hits us.
• Although dripline irrigation is great, on hot and windy days, hand watering direct to the root balls of each plant is essential.
• We suggest you also move any small pots into a shady position; if pots are too big to move, mulch with some compost or pea straw, to help the pots retain extra moisture.
Should you require a professional maintenance company for more assistance, please contact our recommended maintenance guru Pat, from Urban Horticulture Solutions.